In an act of defiance, or possibly just determined stubbornness I tried another glaze firing yesterday. It started at 4am yesterday and finished at 1.30am this morning. Once again I tried to maintain a steady ramp in temperature, followed by an equally steady cooling. The cooling is where I’ve had problems in the past, with all my porcelain pieces dunting. I also tried a different glaze in the hope that this might stop the shivering that occurred last time.
So I took a deep breath and opened the kiln late this afternoon. To my relief and delight everything had survived and my test bowls came out quite nicely. I still need to improve my throwing so they are both finer and more consistent, but this is a major step forward.
The patterns I’m trialling have been quite successful too.