After yesterday’s biscuit firing I washed everything today, ready for glazing*. During this process I had a chance for a moment’s contemplation as this is the first time in a while that I’ve noticed a significant improvement in my throwing. The pieces feel lighter and more consistent in thickness… some real progress. Recently someone gave me some advice about throwing with softer clay for wider pieces such as plates and this has been really helpful.
As I have mentioned before, with potting there always seems to some kind of humbling element just to keep you in check. With this firing I have been reminded that rushing things is never a good idea… We will be without electricity early next week so I knew I needed to get a biscuit firing and one glaze firing done before then. I over packed the kiln and some pieces were not as dry as they should have been. I thought I had allowed for this by adding some preheat time to the already slow firing schedule… well I suppose that two breakages out of a total 77 pots isn’t too bad. Here’s hoping the survivors make it through their glaze firings ready for Ministry of Craft on 6 December.
I must say that although I am really enjoying progressing my existing work I sometimes find it difficult to resist the urge to develop new ideas. I’ve got page after page of sketches that I’m itching to try out… I’m looking forward to experimenting in the New Year, when hopefully things will be a little quieter.
*It is important to brush, sponge or wash off of any dust from the first firing to ensure glaze adheres well. Also before washing I like to sand the bases and rims to remove any rough spots.