The weekend before last I helped Joe Morgan fire his wood kiln, and he very kindly made space for some of my work in the kiln. Last Sunday, after what seemed a painfully long wait, we opened up the kiln.
Joe lifting the lid, underneath you can just see kiln fibre and kiln shelves covering the ware chambers.
The wood/soda firing process is very different from what I know. It took me a while to get my head around the approach required… using a different clay, glazing only the inside of pieces, using oxide slips to work with the soda to create the characteristic glaze that comes with soda firing. Even though all the pieces I made are essentially tests it was hard not to be very excited to find out how they had come out.
Kitty and Joe Morgan lifting the final kiln shelves to reveal the pots inside.
You can see Joe’s amazing teapots and some of Hilary Firth’s plates and jars.
As we had thought the first stack had fired well, but the other two did not reach the required temperature. That said the firing was better than the previous one – it takes time to bed in a new kiln and Joe has plans to make a few modifications before the next firing.
Some of the slip combinations and decoration I tried worked quite well, the glaze liner didn’t go as glassy as I had hoped, and I think I threw things too finely as many pieces warped. I’ve learned a lot and have lots of ideas to take forward. Now I just need to make some more pots.